Tortilla Soup with Avocado & Cilantro
October 14, 2018
Try the Chopra Center’s spin on this delicious traditional Mexican dish!
- ½ teaspoon plus 1 teaspoon ghee or olive oil
- 1 corn tortilla, cut in half, then cut into long, thin strips
- ½ cup chopped leeks or red onions
- ½ tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or tamari
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red chili flakes
- ½ teaspoon mild chili powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon marjoram
- ¾ cup carrots, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup chopped green bell pepper
- ⅛ cup roasted red pepper, diced
- ½ cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- ⅛ cup chopped cilantro, reserve 4 large sprigs for garnish
- ½ cup avocado, cut into cubes and sprinkled with lemon juice
- ½ cup sautéed shrimp or cubed grilled fish of your choice, optional
- Over medium-high heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large sauté pan. Layer the tortilla strips evenly in the pan and sauté until the tortilla strips are hard. Remove the strips from the pan and place on paper towels. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a soup pot and add the leeks, aminos, herbs, and spices. Sauté for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and sauté for another 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, roasted pepper, and corn. Reduce the heat and simmer for 4 or 5 minutes. If the mixture gets dry, add ¼ cup vegetable stock.
- Allow the vegetables to cook until the carrots are almost soft. Add the remaining stock to cover the vegetables and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes.
- . Add the chopped cilantro. Divide the avocado between four individual bowls.
- Ladle the soup over the avocado and garnish with the cilantro sprigs and the crispy tortilla strips. Serve right away.
- As part of the garnish, divide 1 cup of sautéed shrimp or cubed grilled fish to this tasty soup, if desired.
Nutritional Facts Per 1-cup serving – Using vegetables only
- Calories 347
- Total fat 14.7
- Saturated fat 1.8
- Carbohydrates 32.6g
- Protein 21.1g
- Serves 2
- Prep 10m
- Cook 30m
- Total Time 40m